KUMC Roles of Technical Support Associates
Certain policies, operational protocols, procedures, and technical standards must be adhered to throughout the KUMC technical infrastructure to assure security, manageability, reliability, predictability, and cost effectiveness. The University's Chief Information Officer is the final arbiter of such policies, operational protocols, procedures, and technical standards.
Many KUMC schools, departments, and other functional areas have hired individuals to provide some form of personal computer or server support for that area.
The purpose of this operational protocol is to assure that everyone involved in providing support to KUMC entities, employees, and students adheres to a common set of policies, operational protocols, procedures, and technical standards as defined by the University Chief Information Officer (and his/her delegates) in certain technical domains.
This protocol applies to University schools, departments, and centers; clinical foundations; the Research Institute; and other similar affiliated entities that use the University's network infrastructure. The content of this Operational Protocol vis a vis Kansas University Physicians, Inc. (KUPI) is covered in a separate Service Level Agreement between KUPI and the University.
- Generally, the Department of Information Resources and the Chief Information Officer are responsible for the development, management, and operation of computing and telecommunications resources, including assurance of their security, integrity, and reliability.
- By mutual agreement and understanding, Information Resources will delegate certain tasks and responsibilities-generally in the areas of personal computer, server, and application management-to Technical Support Associates with the understanding that they will follow current policies, protocols, and standards as defined by the Department of Information Resources in the areas of:
- Information security
- Account management
- Personal (desktop, notebook, tablet, etc.) computer configuration ("image" creation)
- Personal computer naming conventions
- related compliance (including the information security provisions of the HIPAA, Graham-Leach-Bliley, and FERPA regulations; and all related regulations)
- Other areas in which Information Resources publishes policies, operational protocols, or technical standards
- If computer or computer user support is the primary responsibility of a Technical Support Associate (in contrast, for example, with a faculty member who administers a research system or application), the Department of Information Resources welcomes the opportunity to provide consultation in selection and hiring.
- Information Resources will orient and train all new Technical Support Associates in policies, operational protocols, procedures, and technical standards relevant to that individual's technical responsibilities.
- Information Resources will develop and maintain on KUMC's website a manual for Technical Support Associates.
- Information Resources will host a regular meeting for all Technical Support Associates to assure good communication about, and understanding of, policies, operational protocols, procedures, and technical standards.
This policy does not apply to Technical Support Associates (or their equivalents) at the Wichita campus.
For information on this policy, please contact:
Associate Vice Chancellor for Information Resources
Chief Information Officer
University of Kansas Medical Center
1014 Taylor, 3901 Rainbow Blvd
Kansas City, Kansas 66160
A "Technical Support Associate" is an employee of a school, department, clinical foundation, or other entity (other than the Department of Information Resources) who supports network-connected devices (ordinarily personal computers or servers) for that entity.
2014-03-03: Reviewed and move into KU Policy Library.