Kirmayer Healthy Lifestyle Center Facility Policy
Create a fair and balanced structure in a safe environment.
Program, services, facilities, participants of Kirmayer Healthy Lifestyle Center
The following polices are intended for your safety and convenience. We value all of our members and strive to provide a welcoming, friendly recreation environment.
- Kirmayer Recreation Center facility area is intended for appropriate university publicity posting only, no public posting is allowed of any kind without proper prior permission by Director.
- No bicycles, skateboards, roller blades, or scooters are allowed in the KHLC. Designated bicycle racks are provided for use outside the KHLC facility.
- Use of informal activity spaces when not scheduled/reserved (including priority scheduling) is first come first serve.
- Animals are not permitted within the KHLC and surrounding areas, with the exception of service providers. Please refer to the University policy pertaining to care of animals on University property.
- Spitting in the common areas or activity areas such as courts, track, CST, etc.... is not permitted.
- Kirmayer Healthy Lifestyle Center is NOT responsible for lost, stolen or damaged items.
- Padlocks are available for purchase at the Welcome Center.
- Personal items shall not be left or placed on the floor or on equipment. Individuals may utilize spaces provided in hanging rack or lockers in the locker room. Locking up items is highly recommended.
- Staff members are not to hold equipment, valuables or bags for participants.
- Tobacco of any form is NOT permitted in the KHLC or on University property.
- Use of alcohol and/or drugs is NOT permitted in the KHLC.
- No item(s) or person(s) shall be placed or occupy space directly in front of emergency access doors.
- Audio selection for the KHLC is left to the discretion of the Fitness Specialist on duty, and/or staff.
- Headphones are required for personal stereos (exception: activities within the Group Fitness Studios).
- Authorized personnel ONLY in the Equipment Checkout and Welcome Desk areas.
- Found items should be turned in at Welcome Center. Inquiries regarding lost items should be made at the Welcome Center. See lost and found policies for information regarding how to acquire lost items.
- A closing announcement will be made at approximately 15 minutes prior to closing. All participants are expected to finish their activity, re-rack all weight equipment, return any checked-out equipment, finish showering and exit the KHLC by closing time.
- Participants using the pool must exit 15 minutes prior to facility closing time.
- KHLC facilities may not be used for private or commercial purpose unless such activity has been approved by KHLC staff. Examples of prohibited activity include (but are not limited to): personal training, private instruction, sales, etc.
- It is requested that areas within the KHLC and equipment be used for intended purposes and within manufacturer’s guidelines.
- It is requested that members report any concerns about the facility and/or equipment to the KHLC staff as soon as possible.
- No solicitation on KHLC property by outside groups or individuals.
- Please contact a member of the KHLC staff should an accident, injury or related incident occur. Your assistance in promoting safety is greatly appreciated.
- Approval to take pictures/videos must be directed to the Facility Supervisor on duty, Facility Program Manager, Assistant Director-Facilities or the Associate Director-Facilities.
- Pictures/videos may NOT be taken in the locker rooms, family changing area or restrooms
- It is recommended picture/video requests be placed at least 24 hours in advance with the Associate Director-Facilities.
- Furthermore, individuals taking pictures/videos of participants must be granted their permission.
- KHLC staff reserves the right to make judgment and the final decision on policies not covered in this participant policy manual.
- KHLC attempts to provide a safe and enjoyable atmosphere for all participants. Each participant is responsible for making good choices in relation to his/her skills and health.
- Participation in activity at the KHLC is on a voluntary basis. By voluntarily electing to use the KHLC, participants assume all risk for any harm or injury sustained.
- Please take responsibility for your actions. Do not take risks or participate in activities that may not be appropriate for you. Furthermore, please do not engage in activities that may harm or injure others.
- It is the responsibility of each participant to determine whether he/she has the proper condition of health to participate in activity at the KHLC. If there is uncertainty, it is strongly recommended he/she should consult a physician. The participant is responsible for all costs associated with this service.
- Kirmayer Healthy Lifestyle Center does not provide any medical or accident insurance. It is advisable that each participant have his/her own medical insurance coverage. In exchange for participating in physical activities and/or exercises within the KHLC, participant understands they do so at their own risk. Participants hereby release and waive the HLC, The University of Kansas Medical Center, the State of Kansas, the Kansas Board of Regents, KUMC Student Services, any corporation or entities affiliated with the foregoing, and all employees, officers, agents, representatives and volunteers of the foregoing kind, of or to KHLC or any other person, directly arising out of connection with his/her participation in or in attendance in the KHLC.
- Participants further agree to hold harmless, indemnify and reimburse the Released Parties (see previous paragraph) from and for any sums, costs or expenses incurred by any of the Released Parties or paid by them to any person (including participant or insurers) in connection with any accident, loss, damage or injury sustained by participants or others in connection with the participant's attendance at the KHLC. This means that the participant will reimburse the Released Parties if anyone makes a claim against them based on damages or injuries the participant may suffer.
- Lastly, please contact a member of the Kirmayer Healthy Lifestyle Center staff should an accident, injury or related incident occur. Your assistance in promoting safety is greatly appreciated.
- Food is NOT allowed past the entrance (exception: food may be allowed for special events if prior approval/arrangements are granted by the Senior Coordinator).
- Water and Sport Drinks ONLY are allowed past the entrance and in activity areas without a wood floor.
- Water and Sport Drinks must be in a container with a closed lid (screw on or secure push down).
- Paper/Plastic cups with plastic lids and straws (ex. Kwik Shop or McDonalds cup) are NOT allowed.
- All containers are subject to substance check at any time by the KUMC KHLC staff.
- Glass containers are prohibited at all times.
- Chewing gum is NOT permitted in the KHLC.
- Proper athletic attire is strongly recommended at all times when participating.
- Clothing must meet public decency standards. KHLC staff reserves the right to make a decision regarding attire.
- Full torso must be covered and shorts or pants must be worn. Members wearing clothing with inappropriate messages or language will be asked to turn the article inside out.
- Participants must wear a closed-toed, non-marking rubber soled athletic shoe while participating in the KHLC with the following exceptions:
- Group Fitness Studio for specific classes such as Yoga
- Locker Room areas
- Entrance of the KHLC
- Walking through (non-participation) to one of the areas specified above. Sock feet and bare feet are not allowed as one is walking through to an area.
- Use of the Kirmayer Healthy Lifestyle Center is a privilege and all participants are expected to respect the rights of others. Members and guests are expected to display acceptable and appropriate social behavior while participating in the KHLC. KHLC Services and its staff reserve the right to refuse access or remove any individual(s) whose behavior is inappropriate or in violation of University rules and regulations. Your cooperation is appreciated.
- Inappropriate behavior which is not to be tolerated includes (list not all inclusive):
- Verbal abuse
- Physical abuse
- Mental harassment
- Obscene gestures or actions
- Abuse of staff in any form
- Profane or indecent language
- If a participant, member or guest in KHLC program or facility is directed to leave a facility, program, contest or activity for misconduct:
- He/she must leave the facility immediately and
- He/she must meet with the appropriate person(s) over the program/facility in which the misconduct occurred within three working days.
- If the participant, member or guest does not meet with the appropriate staff person he/she shall immediately be ineligible for further access or competition in any program or facility until he/she has met with the appropriate staff person for the program or facility in which the misconduct occurred.
- Once the KHLC employee has informed a participant, member or guest of the necessity to see the appropriate person over the program/facility for misconduct, inappropriate behavior or ejection, it is that individual’s responsibility to schedule an appointment with the appropriate staff person to review his/her behavior and subsequent eligibility to participate in the program/facility. If discipline is necessary, it will begin after the meeting with the staff person or designee. However, depending on the severity of the incident KHLC reserves the right to suspend access to a participant indefinitely until a meeting with the appropriate staff member has been conducted.
- If discipline is necessary from a program, individuals may still participate in other programs or have access to facilities managed by KHLC Recreation Services.
- If discipline is necessary from the KHLC, he/she may not participate in any programs within the KHLC.
- Any incident involving a participant, member, guest who strikes, hits, pushes, threatens physical harm, spits on, kicks, verbally abuses a KHLC employee, participant, spectator, user, member or guest, or improper use of KUMC/ KHLC photo identification will result in immediate suspension from all KUMC Recreation Services programs and facilities. Furthermore, all relevant information related to the incident may be forwarded to the Office of Student Services and/or the KUPD if deemed appropriate by the KHLC staff.
- KHLC is NOT responsible for lost, stolen or damaged items.
- Day use lockers are available at no cost during hours of operation. Personal locks may be used on any of these day use lockers. These lockers must be cleared and any lock removed by the end of the day.
- Any locks remaining at the end of the day are subject to being cut at the owner’s expense and all items confiscated. Items confiscated will be stored in Lost and Found. Please view Lost and Found policies.
- KHLC is not responsible for theft or damage to personal property left in lockers.
- KHLC requests that the locker rooms be used for its intended purposes:
- Storage of personal items
- Changing of attire
- Individuals must be 14 or older to be in the Locker Room without a guardian. If individual is younger he/she must be escorted by a guardian.
- Towels are provided at the Welcome Center/Equipment Checkout counter. Participants are asked return towels to the towel return counter.
- No member of the opposite sex may be in the locker rooms or restrooms.
- Cameras and video are not permitted in the locker rooms.
- Lost and found items are stored in Kirmayer storage area. Lost and found log is located at the KHLC Welcome Center.
- Valuable items will be stored until the end of the quarter and then donated to a local charity (diamond earrings, wallets, iPods, etc.). Basketball and books are not considered a valuable item.
- Pagers will be taken to Dykes library on the Friday of the given week.
- Participants claiming the items must present identification. Name and will be logged.
- KHLC provides organizational tours for groups or individuals upon request.
- Groups or individuals may contact the Welcome Center to establish an appointment for a tour.
- Should a small group of individuals request an impromptu tour of the KHLC, we can generally accommodate their wishes.
- A tour will be conducted by a Fitness Specialist, Coordinators, Membership Assistants, and/ or Director of Kirmayer Healthy Lifestyle Center.
- Facility/Activity participation is not associated with a tour. In addition, there is no age minimum for a tour.
- During all emergency situations it is expected and asked that you follow the direction of the KHLC staff on and off duty.
- Should an emergency situation call for sudden removal from the KHLC, please exit through the nearest emergency exit door immediately.
- Please follow University emergency policies for all emergencies. Thanks in advance for your cooperation.
05/06/2016: Removed Date Last Reviewed
04/23/2015: minor formatting fixes, added jump-down links to List of Sections/Contents, updated URL
04/20/2015: Last Reviewed.