Federal Student Aid (FSA) Audit and Program Review Process
FSA Guidelines state that “a school that participates in any FSA program, including a participating foreign school, generally must have an independent auditor conduct an annual audit of the school’s compliance with the laws and regulations that are applicable to the FSA programs in which the school participates (a compliance audit), and an audit of the school’s financial statements (a financial statement audit).” (FSA Handbook, Chapter 12)
For the compliance audit segment of this requirement, public and nonprofit schools must comply with the Single Audit Act. “The Single Audit Act requires these schools to have an audit conducted in accordance with the Office of Management and Budget’s (OMB) Circular A-133, Audits of States, Local Governments, and Nonprofit Organizations.” (FSA Handbook, Chapter 12)
Both the financial statement audit and the compliance audit are required to be submitted to the Department of Education within six months of the end of the school’s fiscal year.
As an agency of the State of Kansas, the University is included in both the State’s Consolidated Annual Financial Report (CAFR) as well as the State’s Consolidated Single Audit A-133 Report. Independent auditors hired by the State audit both reports. The State’s and the University’s fiscal year-end is June 30th. The State’s Consolidated Single Audit A-133 is incorporated into the Kansas Board of Regents’ annual eZ-Audit submission to the Department of Education. The annual eZ-Audit deadline is March 31st.
KU students, faculty and staff
Financial Statement Audit
On an annual basis, the State’s Financial Integrity Team sends out its “Regent Financial Statement Template” for the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report.” This submission form requests year-end information regarding the University’s assets, liabilities, net assets, revenues, expenses, GAAP eliminations and other required GAAP disclosures. The form is sent to all Kansas Regents Universities (Note – Since KU Lawrence Campus and KU Medical Center are separate state agencies, each is responsible for submitting their own form to the State). The annual deadline for this form is October 1st.
The Lawrence Campus Comptroller’s Office Financial Reporting Services Unit (FRS) is responsible for completing and submitting the KULC form to the State. FRS is also responsible for consolidating KULC’s component units into KU’s financial statements. KULC’s component units include Kansas Athletics, Inc. (Athletics), the University of Kansas Center for Research, Inc. (KUCR), the University of Kansas Memorial Corporation (KU Unions), and the University of Kansas Endowment Association (KUEA).
The Medical Center Controller’s Office is responsible for completing and submitting the KUMC’s financial statement template to the State. The Controller’s Office is also responsible for consolidating KUMC’s component units into KUMC’s financial statements. KUMC’s component units include the University of Kansas Medical Center Research Institute (RI), the Student Union Corporation of the University of Kansas Medical Center, and Kansas University Health Partners, Inc.
In addition to completing the annual submission form required by the State’s Financial Integrity Team, the University also provides any additional information requested by the State’s independent auditors. Examples of additional information requests include but are not limited to reviews of internal controls via process narratives and walkthroughs, explanations for revenue and expense variances, and supporting documents for detail testing. Requests for additional information are coordinated through FRS and KUMC’s Controller’s Office.
In addition to being a part of the State’s CAFR, the University also publishes an unaudited consolidated Annual Financial Report prepared in conformity with generally accepted accounting principles accepted in the United States of America. The consolidated annual financial report is a requirement established by the Kansas Board of Regents. Copies of the University’s annual report are available at…http://www.comptroller.ku.edu/financial_reporting_services/.
Single Audit A-133
On an annual basis, the University provides an “Annual Schedule of Expenditures of Federal Awards” (SEFA) to the State’s independent auditors. The SEFA form includes the following items…
- ARRA Funded (Yes or No)
- SMART Fund (State Financial System)
- Program CFDA Number
- Program Grant or Contract Number (Indirect Grants or Grants with no CFDA Number
- Federal Awarding Agency
- Official Federal (CRDA) Program Tittle
- Program Name
- Research & Development Grant (Yes or No)
- Program Funding Source (Direct, Indirect, Non-monetary Award, or Transfer)
- State Agency No. & Name – If transferred to KU from another state agency
- Indirect Grants – Pass-Through or Grantor Name
- Program Fiscal Year Expenditures
- Amount Sub-granted to State Agencies
- Amount expended as pass-through to a sub-recipient (non-state entity)
- Audit Inquiry -- “Was this a new program for FY20xx?” (Yes or No)
- Audit Inquiry -- “Any instances of fraud noted by management related to this program?” (Yes or No)
- Audit Inquiry -- “Any regulatory or Federal Agency reviews performed during FY20xx for this program?” (Yes or No)
On-site testing of the Student Financial Aid Cluster by the independent auditors is coordinated between the Comptroller’s Office and the Office of Student Financial Aid for the Lawrence and Edwards Campuses and the Controller’s Office and Student Financial Aid Office for the Medical Center. All other federal program testing is coordinated between the Comptroller’s Office and the KU Center for Research, Inc. (KUCR) for the Lawrence and Edwards Campuses and the Controller’s Office and KUMC Research Institute, Inc. (RI) for the Medical Center.
The State is responsible for submitting its consolidated Single Audit submission forms to the Federal Clearing house. The Kansas Board of Regents’ Office is responsible for submitting the Department of Ed’s eZ-Audit web-based application by the required deadline.
The Department of Education may conduct program reviews to identify possible problems in a school’s FSA administration. Lawrence Campus program review requests should initially be sent to the KULC Comptroller or KULC Director of Financial Aid and Scholarships. KU Medical Center program review requests should initially be sent to the KUMC Associate Vice Chancellor of Finance or the KUMC Director of Financial Aid.
Coordination of all program reviews is similar to the single audit process.
Key Contacts & Responsibilities:
· Initial contact for all external audit and program review requests for Lawrence Campus
· Overall oversight of consolidated Annual Financial Report & KULC Annual Financial Report
· Overall oversight of State Submissions for Lawrence Campus
KULC Asst. Comptroller for Financial Reporting Services
· Preparation and submission of state forms for Lawrence Campus
· Preparation of consolidated Annual Financial Report
· Involved in coordination of information requests from independent auditors
KUMC Associate Vice Chancellor of Finance
· Initial contact for external audit and program review requests non-related to the Department of Education for Medical Center
· Overall oversight of KUMC Annual Financial Report
· Overall oversight of State Submissions for Medical Center
KULC Director of Financial Aid and Scholarships (FAS)
· Preparation and organization of information related to Student Financial Aid Cluster
· Key contact during audit field work for Student Financial Aid Cluster testing
KUMC Director of Student Financial Aid / OSFA
· Initial contact for external audit and program review requests related to the Department of Education for Medical Center
KU Center for Research, Inc. (KUCR)
· Related 501(c)(3) Foundation established to manage University of Kansas Lawrence Campus sponsored research
KUMC Research Institute (RI)
· Related 501(c)(3) Foundation established to manage University of Kansas Medical Center sponsored research
Associate Director, Financial Aid & Scholarships
KU Visitor Center
1502 Iowa St.
01/15/2009: Approved by Katrina Yoakum; updated from 2008-09
10/28/2009: Approved by Katrina Yoakum
10/27/2010: Updated by Janet Roecker; Approved by Katrina Yoakum
08/18/2011: Updated by Janet Roecker, Approved by Katrina Yoakum
7/30/2012: Updated by Janet Roecker, Approved by Katrina Yoakum
7/31/2013: Updated by Janet Roecker, Approved by Katrina Yoakum
8/12/2014: Updated and approved by Katrina Yoakum and Janet Roecker
9/9/2015: Updated and approved by Katrina Yoakum and Janet Roecker