Outside Scholarships: Selecting Recipients on Donor's Behalf
Typically, the Financial Aid and Scholarships office (FAS) does not select scholarship recipients for outside agencies. However, there are instances in which the University is asked to select a recipient, and in some cases, that responsibility falls to FAS. This selection process includes reviewing donor criteria. Whenever possible, FAS will ask an academic department to select a recipient (primary resource). When the department does not make a selection, or the criteria do not specify a major, FAS will select the scholarship recipient.
Faculty, Staff and KU students
When the scholarship information is received by FAS, the criteria will be reviewed and the following decisions made:
- If the criteria specify a particular major or field of study of the recipient(s), the KU academic unit may be able to assist in identifying students.
- If the criteria specify a demographic characteristic of the recipient(s), the Office of Admissions may be able to assist in identifying incoming students.
- If the criteria specify that FAS is to select the recipient(s), the task may not be delegated to another office or unit.
- FAS representatives will be solicited to serve on a scholarship selection committee. Student Peer Advisors may serve on this committee if they are not applying for the scholarship.
- The scholarship application, using criteria outlined on the donor’s letter, will be developed.
- The availability of the scholarship will be published by sending notification to appropriate departments or units or on the scholarship website.
- Once the recipient(s) is/are selected by the committee, the information will be shared with the donor and a determination will be made as to who will notify the recipient(s), KU or the donor.The recipient(s) will be notified by email and a copy of the letter placed in the student’s permanent file.
Associate Director, Financial Aid & Scholarships
Room 50 Strong Hall
Reviewed and updated:
August 19, 2011
August 6, 2012
August 23, 2013
August 18, 2014
September 15, 2015