Verification is a process, mandated by the U.S. Department of Education, to ensure information provided on a student’s FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is accurate. Each year, the U.S. Department of Education selects applicants for verification. The verification process requires the Financial Aid & Scholarships office to confirm the data supplied by the student and/or parent(s). If a student’s FAFSA is selected for verification, KU will send an email notification to the student.
KU students who have been selected for verification.
Verification may take up to four weeks after all required documentation is received by the office of Financial Aid and Scholarships (FAS). The verification process cannot be completed until FAS receives all required documentation. A student will not be awarded financial aid until all required information is received and processed by KU FAS, completing the financial aid file.
If a student is selected for verification, s/he will be sent a notification to his/her registered KU email account. The student may also check the items on his/her “To Do List’ in Enroll and Pay.
A student must create an account at: https://ku.verifymyfafsa.com. Once they have created an account, documents will be requested from the student based on the type of verification required by the U.S. Department of Education. Typical documents include:
- A signed and completed Verification Worksheet for Dependent Students.
- The Department of Education encourages students/parents to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool when filling out the FAFSA and to not make any changes to the data, if the student/parent did NOT use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (or used the IRS DRT and made changes to the data) a signed copy of the IRS tax return is required for verification.
- A signed and completed Verification Worksheet for Independent Students.
- The Department of Education encourages students to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool when filling out the FAFSA and to not make any changes to the data, if the student/spouse did NOT use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (or used the IRS DRT and made changes to the data) a signed copy of the IRS tax return is required for verification.
- Submit all required documents promptly.
- Fill out the Verification Worksheet completely.
- Do not leave items blank; if the answer is zero, write zero.
- Ensure all documents are submitted, legible and signed by the appropriate parties.
- Respond to any requests for additional information promptly. Student will be notified by email and/or text if additional information is needed.
- If information from documents submitted conflicts with a student’s FAFSA, FAS may require additional information to resolve the discrepancy.
- FAS will contact the student via email to request additional information when applicable.
What is acceptable Income and Tax Information?
- Use of the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.
- A signed copy of the federal IRS tax return or IRS tax return transcript.
- Confirmation of non-filing from the IRS (if parent or independent student and non-tax filer) and copies of W-2s (if any work income)
How do I request a copy of my Federal Tax Return Transcript?
A student may Federal Tax Return Transcript at www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript
What if I didn’t file an Income Tax Return?
If the student, student’s spouse and/or parent are required by the IRS to file an income tax return. A signed copy of the return must be submitted. Contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 or www.irs.gov regarding filing status. Students at the University of Kansas may visit Legal Services for Students at 2030 Burge Union for tax assistance.
If an independent student, spouse or parent indicate they did not file a tax return, they are required to submit the following:
- A signed statement certifying that the individual has not filed and is not required to file an income tax return
- A copy of IRS Form W-2 for each source of employment income received (or if W-2s were not received, a signed statement indicating the source of the income earned from work and the amount of income from each source).
What if I didn’t earn any income during the previous year?
- If the student, student’s spouse and/or parent indicate that they did not earn any income in the previous year, they are required to submit a signed statement certifying that the individual has not filed and is not required to file an income tax return
Possible Additional Required Documents (Depending on Type of Verification)
- Some students may be required to submit a notarized “Documentation of Identity/Statement of Educational Purpose” form. If the student is selected for this type of verification, the form will be presented to them at https://ku.verifymyfafsa.com. The student will need to submit the form (along with a copy of a valid, government-issued photo ID) to FAS at the KU Visitor Center.
- Students selected for this type of verification will also be asked to submit proof of high school graduation. Students can advise FAS if they have already submitted final official high school transcripts to the Office of Admissions.
1502 Iowa Street
Lawrence, KS 66045
11/09/2017: Updated for new requirements