KUMC Missing Residential Student Policy and Procedure
The policy is intended to describe the procedures for locating students living in on-campus housing who are determined to be missing and for notifying appropriate contacts and authorized personnel. This policy is intended to comply with the Higher Education Opportunity Act’s Missing Student Notification Policy and Procedure, 20 U.S.C. 1092(j).
All staff and students at the Kansas City Campus of the KU Medical Center
Whenever a student acquires on-campus housing at the Cambridge Apartments or the International House, and the beginning of each academic year thereafter, the Office of International Programs will inform the student that:
- In addition to providing a general emergency contact, the student has the option of confidentially identifying an individual to be contacted by the University no later than 24 hours after the time the student has been determined to be missing, in accordance with the notification procedure outlined below. Students may register this confidential contact information by contacting the Office of International Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org. The contact information will be kept separate from their general emergency contact information, will be accessible only to authorized campus officials, and will not be disclosed, except to law enforcement personnel in furtherance of a missing person investigation.
- The University will notify the KUMC Police Department not later than 24 hours after the time that the student is determined missing in accordance with this Policy.
- If the KUMC Police Department has been notified and makes a determination that a student who is the subject of a missing person report is missing and has been missing for more than 24 hours and has not returned to campus, the University will initiate the emergency or confidential contact procedures in accordance with the student’s designation.
- If the student is under 18 years of age and not emancipated, the University is required to notify a custodial parent or guardian (in addition to any additional contact person designated by the student) no later than 24 hours after the time that the student is determined to be missing.
The following official notification procedure will be followed for a missing student who resides in on-campus housing:
- Any report that a student is missing, from whatever source, should be immediately directed to the KUMC Police Department for immediate investigation. If the KUMC Police Department determines the student has been missing for 24 hours, they will contact the individual designated by the student or the custodial parent or legal guardian if the student is under 18 and not emancipated.
- The KUMC Police Department will also contact the Vice Chancellor for Academic and Student Affairs.
- In the event that a University official reasonably determines or believes that there is justification to investigate the welfare or missing status of a student, the University may use any of the following resources to assist in locating the student. These resources may be used in any order and combination.
- Through the Office of International Programs, authorized staff may be asked to assist in physically locating the student by entering the student’s assigned room and by talking with known colleagues.
- The KUMC Police Department and other University staff may search on-campus public locations to find the student (classrooms, library, cafeteria, etc.).
- The KUMC Police Department may issue an ID picture to assist in identifying the missing student.
- University officials may try to contact known friends, family, or faculty members for last sighting or for additional contact information.
- The Vice Chancellor for Academic and Student Affairs or academic departments may be contacted to seek information on last sighting or other contact information.
- The KUMC Policy Department may access vehicle registration information for vehicle location and distribution to authorities.
- Information Resources may be asked to review email logs for last login and use of the University of Kansas Medical Center email system.
KUMC Associate Director of Public Safety and Emergency Management 913-945-7985