KUMC Research Purchasing in Accordance with Uniform Guidance
To set forth the requirements for purchases made utilizing sponsored grant, contract and cooperative agreement funding, or other funds administered by the University of Kansas Research Institute, Inc.
The University of Kansas Medical Center (KUMC), the KU Medical Center Research Institute, Inc. (KUMCRI), and each of their affiliated entities engaged in the conduct or administration of research supported by KUMC and KUMCRI.
KUMCRI sponsored grants, contracts, and cooperative agreements must meet allowability standards of the specific sponsor and auditing guidelines when purchasing within the KUMCRI system regardless of whether the purchase is made with R&D, internal, or other funds established in the KUMCRI.
The federal Uniform Guidance outlines procurement procedures for federally-funded projects. For non-federally funded projects, specific sponsor guidelines will be followed.
Principal Investigator or approved designee signature indicates:
- The purchase is reasonable and necessary to the project.
- The purchase is at the lowest cost to the project, or is accompanied by a justification.
- The purchase meets SPA allowability policies.
- The purchase is within the scope and time frame of the project or existing account.
- There are ample funds available in the project/account for the purchase.
- Faculty resigning from KUMC will need to provide additional purchase justifications regardless of funding source.
- Any purchase between $25,000 and $50,000 requires 3 informal bids (telephone quotes, web-based information/quotes, fax quotes, etc).
- Any purchase greater than $50,000 requires sealed bids and advertising, per the KUMC formal bid process.
- Sole-source equipment purchases require a written justification.
- All equipment purchased with grants, clinical trials, or R&D accounts will become property of KUMC. KUMCRI transfers all such equipment to the KUMC equipment registration office, and the equipment ultimately becomes the permanent property of the State of Kansas. Therefore, equipment may be considered for transfer to a faculty member’s future place of employment per KUMC guidelines, provided that certain conditions are met, and a State of Kansas Form DA-110 completed. For further instructions, please see Appendix A of the KUMC Property – Equipment Recovery Policy: http://www.kumc.edu/Pulse/policy/equipmentrecovery.html
- Equipment purchases made within the last six months of the project require special approval from the Vice Chancellor for Research.
- Funding sources may require the use of vendors in a specific category. Example: small businesses, minority-owned firms or women’s business enterprises.
- Purchases made with State funds are subject to State of Kansas purchasing guidelines (i.e. State contracts with vendors must utilize KUMC Purchasing for acquisition including split-funded purchases).
- Equipment rental
- Any vendor/contractor who is debarred from receiving Federal Procurement may not contract with the KUMCRI where Federal funding is involved, per Federal Acquisition Regulation subpart 9.4.
Associate Vice Chancellor for Research Administration: 913-588-5436
KUMCRI Senior Deputy Director and Chief Financial Officer: 913-588-5313
KUMCRI Controller: 913-588-5749
Equipment: means tangible nonexpendable personal property including exempt property charged directly to the award having a useful life of more than one year and an acquisition cost of $5000 or more per unit.
Uniform Guidance: The Uniform Administrative Requirements, Cost Principles and Audit Requirements for Federal Awards, 2 CFR Chapter I, Chapter II, Part 200, addressing the administrative requirements for grants and agreements with institutions of higher education, hospitals, and non-profit organizations.
08/22/2016: Updated Link
Revised: 11/16/2015 to reflect changes in Uniform Guidance
Effective Date: 03/4/2008
RAC Approved: 02/27/2008