KU Libraries: Access, Circulation, and Request Services for KU Medical Center Students, Faculty, and Staff in Lawrence Campus Libraries
To define KU Libraries access, circulation, and request services for KU Medical Center Students, Faculty, and Staff using the Lawrence campus libraries.
KU Medical Center Students, Faculty, and Staff using the University of Kansas Libraries facilities, services, collections, and/or equipment on the Lawrence campus including: 1) KU Med Undergraduate Students, KU Med Graduate Students, and KU Medicine Students currently enrolled through the KU Medical Center campus; 2) KU Medical Center Faculty and Staff currently employed at the University of Kansas Medical Center. This policy applies to collections and services in Anschutz Library, Gorton Music & Dance Library, Library Annex, Murphy Art & Architecture Library, Spahr Engineering Library, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, and Watson Library.
- How to Authenticate for Lawrence Campus Library Services:
- KU Medical Center Students, Faculty, and Staff must self-identify to receive available library services on the Lawrence campus and provide the KU Med hang tag, government-issued photo identification, and confirmation of enrollment or employment with the University of Kansas Medical Center.
- Confirmation of KU Medical Center status will be required on a regular basis to retain available library services on the Lawrence campus.
- Library Access, Circulation, and Request Services available to KU Medical Center Students, Faculty, and Staff in the Lawrence campus libraries include:
- On-site access to facilities of the KU Libraries system on the Lawrence campus.
- Borrowing privileges for circulating collections.
- On-site use of computer workstations designated as Community Access Workstations for use of the Library Catalog and electronic resources (some restrictions may apply).
- Basic research help services.
- Retrieve from Shelf and Recall services with checkout from Lawrence campus library service desks.
- Borrowing Privileges:
- KU Medical Center Graduate Students, Medicine Students, Faculty, and Staff may check out an unlimited number of long-term loan items for 4 months, and may renew the items 5 times via the Library Catalog before returning the items to the library or bringing the items to the library to check them out again.
- KU Medical Center Undergraduate Students may check out an unlimited number of long-term loan items for 6 weeks, and may renew the items 5 times via the Library Catalog before returning the items to the library or bringing the items to the library to check them out again.
- All long-term loan items checked out for 6 weeks or longer are subject to recall at any time and must be returned within 14 days of the first recall notice date to avoid overdue charges.
- Short-term and reserve loan items checked out for 2 weeks or less must be returned to the library from which they were checked out by the time due in order to avoid overdue charges and in order to check them out again. Items checked out for two weeks or less cannot be renewed online.
- Many, but not all, Lawrence campus library resources are available to KU Medical Center Students, Faculty, and Staff through Dykes Library and Farha Library interlibrary loan services.
- Kenneth Spencer Research Library:
- Kenneth Spencer Research Library is open to all researchers including those not affiliated with KU or another academic institution.
- Collections must be used on-site in the library's reading room.
- Library users need to register for a User Account in the Aeon system, present photo identification upon arrival at the library, and use the Aeon system to request library materials.
- See Reproducing Library Materials for information about copying and printing in Kenneth Spencer Research Library.
- Scanning, Copying, and Printing:
- Free scanning is available in most library locations; bring a USB flash drive to save scanned documents or send them to your email account.
- Visitor Copy/Print Access must be purchased in order to print from the Community Access Workstations or to print from hard copy items.
- See Reproducing Library Materials for information about Kenneth Spencer Research Library.
- Services Not Included:
- All other library services for KU Medical Center Students, Faculty, and Staff are provided by Dykes Library and/or Farha Library.
- Interlibrary Loan and Document Delivery services are not provided by the Lawrence campus libraries for KU Medical Center Students, Faculty, and Staff.
- Off-campus access to the KU Libraries' electronic resources, including databases, e-journals, and e-books licensed for the Lawrence and Edwards campuses, is not included unless the resource has also been licensed for KU Med.
This policy does not apply to KU Medical Center Emeritus and Retired employees requesting to use library services on the Lawrence campus. This policy does not apply to the Wheat Law Library on the Lawrence campus or to the KU Medical Center libraries (Clendening, Dykes, and Farha).
Individuals no longer enrolled or employed with the University of Kansas Medical Center will no longer qualify for library privileges at the same level described in this policy. The exception is that registered users at Kenneth Spencer Research Library continue to qualify for library privileges as described in this policy.
University of Kansas Libraries
1425 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045
Asking Questions about KU Libraries Policies and Procedures
Previously documented through KU Libraries website content.
Current enrollment requirements apply to University of Kansas Medical Center Undergraduate Students, Graduate Students, and Medical Students:
- Current enrollment is defined as enrolled at the University of Kansas for the current semester. New students have library privileges beginning with the first day of classes for the first semester enrolled in classes.
- From mid-May through mid-August, enrollment for the summer session or the forthcoming fall semester (if enrolled for the previous spring) qualifies as current enrollment.
- To avoid a break in service following active summer session enrollment, the student must be enrolled for the forthcoming fall semester.
- From mid-December through mid-January, enrollment for the forthcoming spring semester qualifies as current enrollment (if enrolled for the previous fall).
- For students who have a lapse in enrollment, library privileges resume with the first day of classes for the next semester enrolled.
- Late enrollment will delay activation or re-activation of library privileges.
Current employment at the University of Kansas Medical Center is required for KU Medical Center Faculty and Staff to receive available Lawrence campus library services with faculty and staff privileges. Confirmation of employment will be achieved on a case-by-case basis as services are requested.
01/06/2015: Published in the Policy Library. Added original policy approval and effective dates to the Contacts and Dates section.
12/04/2014: Revised, reviewed and approved for inclusion in KU Policy Library.
01/01/2006: Policy effective.