Public Art on Campus
To describe the process by which proposals are considered for the permanent installation of art works in exterior and interior public campus spaces and for temporary installations that will be on display for two weeks or more.
The University of Kansas, Lawrence Campus
The Public Art on Campus Committee is appointed by and is advisory to the provost and executive vice chancellor. Voting members include a representative of the Chancellor’s Office, a representative of the Office of the Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor, a representative of the School of Architecture and Design, a representative of the School of the Arts, a representative of the Office of Event Management and Protocol, and a representative of the Spencer Museum of Art. Representatives of Facilities Services and Facilities Planning and Development will serve as ex-officio, non-voting members. The committee does not hold regular meetings; rather, it is convened when there are proposals to consider. The representative of the Provost’s Office serves as convener.
The responsibilities of the committee are as follows:
- Evaluate all proposals for the permanent installation of art works in exterior and interior public campus spaces, taking into consideration the quality of the art work, the appropriateness of the site, and any related issues.
- Evaluate proposals for temporary installations in exterior and interior campus spaces if the installation will be on display for two weeks or more.
- Participate in development of the campus master plan in order to identify appropriate site for future art installations.
- Develop a comprehensive plan for acquiring and placing public art, taking into consideration the public art acquisition plans that have been successfully developed and implemented at other higher education institutions.
- Consult with internal or external experts in the field when considering acquisition of new public art.
- Consult with the Lawrence Campus Historic Preservation Board as needed.
- Make recommendations to the provost and executive vice chancellor.
The committee is not responsible for the following:
- Review or approval of installations in the galleries of the Spencer Museum of Art, the KU Memorial Unions, the School of the Arts, the School of Architecture and Design, The Commons (Spooner Hall) or the immediate environs of the facilities that house these units. Such installations are the responsibility of staff of the respective units. See the maps for the outdoor areas where the Spencer Museum, the Kansas Union, the School of the Arts, the School of Architecture and Design and The Commons may mount exhibitions.
- Evaluation of plans for the design or installation of memorials, buildings, or other University facilities. The Office of Facilities Planning and Development is responsible for advising the chancellor and the provost on such installations.
- Routine evaluation of requests for temporary installations of less than two weeks. The Office of Event Management and Protocol is responsible for review of such requests. The Office of Event Management and Protocol may consult with the Office of the Provost as it deems necessary.
Individuals or groups proposing a temporary installation will complete the application form and submit it via mail or electronically to the Office of the Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor at the address below. The application should be submitted at least one month in advance of the date of the proposed installation. The committee may schedule a meeting with the artist(s) to discuss and further review the proposal.
Individuals or groups proposing a permanent installation will be expected to provide all of the information required for temporary installations but in much greater detail. There is no established timeline for review of proposals for permanent installations, as the committee may need to consult broadly before making a recommendation to the provost and executive vice chancellor.
Office of the Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor
University of Kansas
1450 Jayhawk Blvd., 250 Strong Hall
Lawrence, KS 66045
12/21/2018: Added Event Management and Protocol as a representative.
07/25/2018: Updated UEC to Event Management and Protocol. Update UEC Guideline link to new Event Management Procedures website.
07/10/2018: Updated application form.
05/03/2018: Updated contact information.
09/13/2016: Updated contact information & attached new form with updated contact information.
01/13/2015: Policy formatting cleanup (e.g., bolding, spacing).
01/02/2013: Made technical edit to Related Documents section.
06/06/2012: Revisions approved.
03/08/2011: Revisions approved.
04/24/2008: Updated with appropriate title changes.