Outdoor Pursuits Policy: KU Recreation Services
Create a fair and balanced structure in a safe environment.
Programs, services, facilities, participants of KU Recreation Services
Climbing Wall Policies
· Chalk Ball must be used while climbing, no lose chalk.
· A climbing wall staff must be present to climb or boulder.
· All participants must use the proper equipment. Recreation Services provides all equipment, an outdoor pursuits staff must approve other equipment prior to its use.
· Climbing shoes are the only shoes allowed on the wall.
· NO BAREFOOT CLIMBING.
· Any climber trying to climb onto the balcony or ledge will be asked to get down or to leave climbing wall area.
· No horseplay or unsafe climbing practices are allowed.
· All participants will provide proper care of all equipment.
· Only a follow through figure-eight knot may be used to tie in the climber.
· The belayer must use a locking carabiner and GriGri.
· NO ATC (During Open Rec.)
· No hip belaying.
· Only four climbers are allowed on the main wall at a time.
· Lead Climbing may only be done by participants during club time who have completed a series of clinics. NO EXCEPTIONS.
· Only those certified to Lead Belay may do so during club time.
· Do not step under or over an active belay.
· KU Rock Climbing Wall policies and procedures must be followed at all times.
· No personal items are to be left along the wall under the windows.
· Staff only in the closet area.
· No Trad Climbing on wall.
· No Aid Climbing on wall.
· Do not add or remove climbing holds, Ask supervisor.
· Do not step on ropes or any other equipment.
· Do not use bolts or quick-draws as handholds.
· Uncertified climbers must wear a green wristband.
· No Climbing between the Arch and the Glass.
· No sitting down or lying down while belaying.
· No stepping on ropes, dropping/tossing of carabiners/belay devices, or other unsafe actions.
Outdoor Pursuits Rental Equiment
How it works
Equipment is checked out for 1-3 day block periods. The initial block period is mandatory. Beyond the first 3 days, you may rent the equipment for another 3 day block or add on only the days that you need at a daily rate.
Late fees are assessed on a daily rate, for every day the equipment is returned late.
Reservation may be made up to three days in advance, must be made in person and paid in full. No refunds will be given - NO EXCEPTIONS. Should weather not permit the user of our Outdoor Pursuits equipment, we will allow the user a credit for future gear use.
All equipment must be returned clean and in good condition with all parts or a $15 cleaning fee. If equipment is returned with out all the part a replacement fee will be assessed. This includes gear subjected to rain or water.
Staff can provide a complete list of replacement and damage charges. Most common charges are for tent stakes and sleeping pad fasteners. Please don't lose them.
Mary Chappell, Director
Student Recreation Fitness Center