University Events Committee - Guidelines and Considerations
The purpose of the University Events Committee is to coordinate, facilitate, and schedule events and to facilitate individual expression on the Lawrence campus of the University of Kansas. The University Events Committee inquires into the nature of proposed events and advises persons wishing to schedule events of the regulations and policies of the University, city ordinances, and/or state statutes. The University Events Committee is not a regulatory or enforcement agency.
Groups/individuals who want to hold events/meetings on the KU campus.
Event Guidelines and Considerations
The following considerations should be noted:
- Sales/solicitations: No selling is permitted on campus unless the activity or event of the selling agent is for the benefit of the University community under the sponsorship of a registered organization or University office with a reasonable portion of any financial profits resulting from the activity to be recycled into non-profit, philanthropic or student services projects sponsored by the registered student organization or University office. (Approved by Chancellor, November 1983; see II. G.)
Selling merchandise available at and through the KU Bookstores is permitted provided the seller receives written permission in advance from the Director of the KU Bookstores. When the University's name or logo is used, permission must be received from the University Trademark Licensing Administrator.
- Personal financial gain: No activity or event will be approved for the private financial gain of individual petitioners. Specifically prohibited on campus is the resale by individuals of tickets to University-sponsored athletic, musical, cultural or other events (ticket “scalping”). Individuals who have tickets they are unable to use are encouraged to return them to the box office of the sponsoring unit. No activity is permitted that involves the regular use of University facilities and results in financial gain or profit to an individual. (Approved by Chancellor, November 1983, February 2009)
- Food/potluck events: Any food/snacks/beverages sold or given away must be obtained through and/or prepared by the University's licensed, health-inspected facilities (the Kansas and Burge Unions and the Department of Student Housing) or, for events sponsored by the Kansas Athletics, Inc. (KAI) by KAI’s authorized concessionaire. Organizations sponsoring "closed potluck" events may obtain special permission from the University Events Committee to provide their own food if all the following criteria are met:
- Potluck is defined as members providing their own individually prepared food.
- The activity is only for organization members and their individually invited guests.
- The activity is held outside the facilities of the Kansas and Burge Unions and the University Residence Halls.
- No admission is charged.
- Meals cooked on campus must have the supervision of the Kansas and Burge Unions or the Department of Student Housing.
Note: Exceptions to this policy require the approval of the Provost. Food and/or beverages for groups using the Kansas and Burge Unions must be provided by Union Food Services. (Approved by the Chancellor and Executive Vice Chancellor, August 1993; revised in consultation with the University General Counsel, August, 1998 and March 2009.)
- Sales Taxes: State sales tax must be paid on items (including tickets) sold on campus. Information and sales tax forms are available from Financial Services 20 Carruth O'Leary, or from the Student Involvement & Leadership Center (SILC), 400 Kansas Union. At any event where merchandise is sold or admission charged, six and nine-tenths (6.9) percent sales tax must be paid to the State Department of Revenue. It is not necessary to list this as a separate item in pricing. The retail price or admission fee may include the tax, or it may be collected in addition to the listed price. The tax can be paid through FInancial Services by coming to the Student Organizations Desk in Room 2, Carruth O'Leary Hall. Be prepared to report the gross receipts and to pay the sales tax at that time. The remittance will be sent to the Department of Revenue by the University. Any questions should be referred to Finanical Services, Student Organizations Desk, 785-864-3322.
- The University Events Committee may be notified of any events of general interest that require the use of University facilities, whether or not Events Committee approval is required. The University Events Committee can then publicize the event through normal channels.
- Copyrighted Material: Petitioners are advised that copyright legislation may have implications for their use of copyrighted materials for their events or projects. Such materials include literary works, musical works, including accompanying works, dramatic works, pictorial, graphic and cultural works, motion pictures and other audio-visual works, and sound recording, Under contractual agreement with BMI and AS CAP , the University of Kansas is required to report all performances of public musical attractions presented on or off campus by all organizations affiliated with the University. Additional information is available in Financial Services, Central Accounting, Room 7, Carruth O'Leary, 785-864-3790.
- Discriminate Pricing: Admission pricing differences shall not discriminate on basis of age, race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, physical handicap or disability, status as a Vietnam Era Veteran, sexual orientation or other factors which cannot be lawfully considered, to the extent specified by applicable federal and state laws within the institutions under its jurisdiction. This shall not, however, limit the right of a student organization to charge less to members than to non-members. (Revised in conjunction with the University General Counsel, May 1978.)
Student Involvement & Leadership Center
1301 Jayhawk Blvd.- Room 400 Kansas Union
Lawrence, KS 66045
05/20/2021: Updated contact section.
04/08/2021: Updated the title Comptroller to Financial Services.
03/29/2021: Updated link to Form.
06/12/2015: Policy formatting cleanup (e.g., bolding, spacing).
03/11/2009: Revised to update information on sales and solicitations, personal financial gain, and food/potluck events.
06/14/1977: Unless otherwise noted, the policies herein were approved by the Chancellor of the University of Kansas and Executive Vice Chancellor at the Lawrence campus on June 14, 1977, and were effective Fall Semester 1977.