Credit Card Information
Provide instructions for processing credit cards.
University of Kansas departments and offices that accept credit card payments.
- Credit card transactions processed on one day must be entered in FSKU by the next working day. If the transaction occurs on a Saturday or Sunday, the deposit should be made on Monday.
- Credit card transactions must be processed using the point of sale machine.
- Telephone authorizations will no longer be accepted unless required by the authorization company by a message on the point of sale machine.
- Voids can only be done on the same day as the original transaction. After the original transaction day, you must process as a return.
- Any credit card transaction that requires a refund, must be processed using the original credit card number. Refunding another card is strictly prohibited.
When a customer is paying with MasterCard, Visa, American Express or Discover:
- Check the expiration date on the card. If the card has expired, do not accept it.
- If the customer has the credit card, use the electronic data center terminal
- Position credit card with magnetic stripe facing away from you. Run card through "card reader" from top to bottom.
- Verify the customer's account number, press ENTER and key in transaction data as guided by the terminal display. After keying each transaction, press ENTER.
- After the sales receipt prints, have the customer sign the receipt. Enter the KUID number, invoice number or brief description of the charge being paid on the three lines provided. Give the customer the yellow copy and keep the white copy.
- Press clear, then <1> . . .
- Key in transaction data as guided by the terminal display. Do not proceed faster than the display menu will proceed. After keying each transaction asked by the terminal, press ENTER.
- Staple the yellow copy to the bill if this is a mail-in payment. If the customer is present, get a signature on the receipt; then give the yellow copy to the customer and keep the white copy. If the customer is not present and the credit card information was received over the telephone, on the signature line enter "TO" (telephone order); if received by mail, enter "MO" (mail order).
- If you get a message on the terminal to "Call Center", and your merchant number begins with '09', you will need to call for a voice authorization at 1-800-3214009. You will need to give the merchant ID number and all card information. Write down the authorization code given you. On the terminal, press (5) and then (2) for post authorization. Again slide the card through or hand enter the customer's account number, press ENTER. This will capture the transactions and the sales receipt will print.
- To void a transaction, (only on the same day), if you approved the wrong amount, press (5) then (3).
- Slide the card through or hand enter the customer account number, press ENTER. Key in the void amount, press ENTER. Key in the reference number on the credit card slip, press ENTER. The terminal will print a void sales receipt in red. Staple this receipt to the original receipt. You can now enter a new sale at the correct amount.
- At the end of the day you need to run an audit list (Batch Detail Report) of each terminal. Press ENTER +(3) + (1) + ENTER. This will give a printout of all transactions posted on that terminal and a total amount in sales. From the white sales receipts, run a tape on all totals. This total should match the total from the audit list.
- Make a deposit entry for each terminal, listing each batch for that terminal and total amount.
- Credit card transactions processed on one day must be entered by next working day. The 24hr. HELP Line number is 1-800-862-6277
1246 West Campus Road
Carruth O’Leary Hall
Lawrence, KS 66045
04/14/2021: Updated Contact and owning unit sections from Comptroller to Financial Services.
06/27/2019: Updated contact section.
03/23/2015: Updated to reflect current nomenclature for Student Account Services.