Special Circumstances Re-evaluation
Special Circumstances Re-evaluation refers to the process of reviewing a student’s financial aid application when the student and/or the student’s parents or spouse experience a change in income or expenses that was not reflected on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). When applying for financial aid, income and asset information is used to determine how much can be contributed toward educational expenses. Re-evaluation is appropriate when changes in income or expenses are significant enough to result in increased aid eligibility and the student/parent requests the re-evaluation in writing.
KU students and families who have experienced a change in financial circumstances that may affect aid eligibility.
Adjustments may be made in two ways: adjustments to the information submitted on the FAFSA (EFC Appeal) and adjustments made for increases in mandatory or non-discretionary expenses (Cost of Attendance Appeal). These adjustments can be made for the student, and in some circumstances, for the student’s spouse and/or parents.
Reasons for EFC Appeals may include (but are not limited to):
- Job termination/change
- Reduction of hours worked
- Changes to marital status after filing the FAFSA
- Loss or reduction of child support received
- Loss or reduction of alimony received
- Child support paid
- High cost of living expenses
- Medical/dental/disability expenses
- Nursing home expenses
- Funeral expenses
Reasons for increases in mandatory or non-discretionary expenses may include (but are not limited to):
- Additional required educational expenses
- Student's housing expenses
- Student's paid medical expenses
- Student's transportation expenses
- Child care expenses
- Computer expenses
Procedures to Request Re-Evaluation
1. Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov;
2. Meet with your Financial Aid Counselor to discuss a Special Circumstances Re-evaluation Request and submit requested documents no later than April 1 of the current academic year for Cost of Attendance requests. Deadlines for EFC Appeals are more flexible and should be discussed with the Financial Aid Counselor. Documents will be submitted online at: https://ku.verifymyfafsa.com.
1. A request for Special Circumstances Re-evaluation cannot be processed until the original application for financial aid (FAFSA) has been completed. Please allow four to six weeks for processing the Special Circumstances Re-evaluation Request after all the required documentation has been received.
2. If re-evaluation results in increased eligibility for aid and if funds are available, a student may receive additional assistance. The student may be asked to provide documentation (W-2 forms, 1099s, income tax returns, etc.) at the end of the calendar year to verify the accuracy of income projections or projected expenses. If changes are warranted which result in reduced eligibility, the student may be required to repay aid.
1502 Iowa Street
Lawrence, KS 66045
12/09/2020: Reviewed policy; No updates.
09/30/2019: Reviewed and Updated.
11/09/2017: removed child support paid as an option for adjustment.