• Home
  • Petty Cash Funds

Petty Cash Funds


Provide instruction for managing departmental petty cash funds.

Applies to: 

All University departments and offices.

Policy Statement: 

Petty cash funds may be used for appropriate departmental expenditures of $100 or less. They may not be used for salaries, current accounts to be paid monthly nor advance payments. No loans or advances to employees may be made from the fund. No checks may be cashed from this fund. It may be used for making change.

The amount needed to establish a departmental petty cash fund will come from the department’s current year appropriations for operating expenditures. The maximum amount allowed for a petty cash fund is $500.

The petty cash fund may be maintained in cash; it is not required to be maintained in a bank. Each department is responsible for the safekeeping of the fund. It is not to be commingled with funds of any employee, but is to be maintained in a businesslike manner in an approve location with adequate security.

To request a Petty Cash fund, the department must fill out form DA-71: Petty Cash Fund Maintenance. Check “Establish new fund”. For agency name write KU, followed by the department’s name. List the amount requested, funding source, proposed use of fund, proposed location, security provided and the designated employees. Do not sign in the “Agency Authorized Signature” area. Forward this form to Payables for processing to the state. When approved, Financial Services will have a check issued payable to Petty Cash Fund # _______, using the funding provided by the department. The petty cash fund custodian cashes the check and places the cash in a secure location.

This same form is to be submitted to request a change in amount and each time there is a change in custodian, alternate custodian or supervising employee.

For each disbursement from the fund, the petty cash fund custodian must fill out a pre-numbered receipt showing the date, payee’s name, payee’s signature, description of item purchased, expenditure account code and custodian’s name.

DA-73: Reconciliation of Petty Cash Fund - This form is used for reconciliation of the petty cash fund. Reconciliation is to be done at least monthly, even if no expenditures have been made. Do not process a KU Procure-to-Pay System (KUKPPS) check request for less than $5. If reimbursing at year-end and it is less than $5, an Imprest Check will be processed. Contact Financial Services regarding an Imprest payment. A copy of the reconciliation done at the time of fund replenishment should be attached to the check request.


Financial Services - Accounting Services

Approved by: 
Approved on: 
Saturday, July 1, 1972
Effective on: 
Friday, April 4, 2003
Review Cycle: 
Annual (As Needed)
petty cash, funds
Change History: 

02/17/2023: Updated contact section.
04/16/2021: Updated Contact, Approver, and owning unit sections from Comptroller to Financial Services.
10/02/2013: Reviewed and updated to reflect change from Central Accounting Services to Payable and KU-Procure-to-Pay- System (KUPPS).
11/01/2010: Reviewed.

Financial Categories: 
Cash Management & Investments
Financial Oversight

Can't Find What You're Looking For?
Policy Library Search
KU Today
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
Nearly $290 million in financial aid annually
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times