Departmental Use of Graduate Application Fees
To clarify how departments may use the fees they collect from graduate applications.
Lawrence and Edwards Campus departments which grant graduate certificates and/or degrees.
Schools and the College receive a portion of the application fee paid by applicants to graduate degree-seeking programs. Units must use application fees to offset recruitment and application-related expenses.
Examples of recruitment and application-related expenses include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Computer equipment and office supplies for processing applications
- Mailing and photocopying expenses related to recruitment of graduate students
- Staff or student hourly workers to assist with recruitment or processing graduate applications
- Some costs involved in bringing an applicant for a campus visit, in keeping with the Prospective Graduate Student Travel Reimbursements policy
- Website maintenance
- Attendance at recruitment fairs or other recruitment events
- Printing or photocopying recruitment materials
The Office of Graduate Studies must approve any purchase that does not meet these criteria.
213 Strong Hall
09/19/2017: Approved by Senior Vice Provost for Academic Affairs. Uploaded to Policy Library.
04/14/2017: Approved by Executive Council on 14 April 2017.