Childcare Grants and Budget Adjustments
The Childcare Grant and Budget Adjustment process is available to assist students with children in daycare ages five and under and not yet in kindergarten. Funding is provided through the Student Senate Educational Opportunity Fund. The Associate Director maintains the information on requesting funds and will request funds annually. Funding for the Childcare Grant Program will be determined in late Spring.
All KU student parents who meet the eligibility requirements.
The application should be available in Financial Aid and Scholarships (FAS) and on the FAS website in early September of the Academic Aid year. The priority deadline is a date in late September, and students will be notified via email during the month of October. Applications should be completed and returned to FAS by the priority deadline. Applications received after the priority deadline will be considered for the grant if grant funds are still available. Childcare expenses incurred by the student are used to establish eligibility. Therefore, there is a place for the childcare provider to indicate support for child-care expenses coming from other sources, such as SRS or other grants or scholarships. All applicants will have their COA (budget) increased for the full amount of their childcare expenses after subtracting other sources of funding. After the priority date, Budget Adjustment Requests only are completed.
The applicant must:
- Have an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) of $13,000 or less to receive the grant.
- Be the custodial parent of the child and the child must live with the applicant more than 50% of the time.
- Be enrolled in at least 6 hours as a degree seeking student at the University of Kansas, Lawrence campus.
- Be a resident, non-resident or international student.
- Citizens and eligible non-citizens must file the current FAFSA and have the information sent to KU.
- International students must submit an International Student Needs Analysis form in lieu of the FAFSA.
- Clear all ED matches, rejects, and verification issues before being awarded the grant.
- Have a childcare provider that is someone other than the child’s mother or father. Other relatives may be considered on a case-by-case basis. NOTE: Spouses are not approved childcare providers for the purpose of this grant.
- Have a spouse who is working or attending school at least 6 hours (if applicable).
- Students are not eligible for the grant if receiving scholarship funds from the Hilltop Childcare Facility. A budget adjustment only will be made if costs exceed the Hilltop scholarship.
- Only one student parent at KU can apply for the grant.
- Students not meeting financial aid satisfactory academic progress may be eligible for the grant.
- Priority for the award will go to applicants with the greatest financial need (after considering EFC and other gift aid) who meet the priority date.
In February of each year, the FAS Associate Director presents a grant proposal to the Student Senate for these funds using statistical information obtained from the database.
Approved February 2008.