Special Circumstances Re-evaluation
Special Circumstances Re-evaluation refers to the process of reviewing a student’s financial aid application when the student and/or the student’s parents or spouse experience a change in income or expenses that was not reflected on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). When applying for financial aid, income and asset information is used to determine how much can be contributed toward educational expenses. Re-evaluation is appropriate when changes in income or assets are significant enough to result in increased aid eligibility and the student/parent requests the re-evaluation in writing.
KU students and families who have experienced a change in financial circumstances that may affect aid eligibility.
Adjustments may be made in two ways: adjustments to the information submitted on the FAFSA and adjustments made for increases in mandatory or non-discretionary expenses. These adjustments can be made for the student, and in some circumstances, for the student’s spouse and/or parents.
Reasons for FASFA adjustments may include:
- Job termination/change
- Reduction of hours worked
- Changes to marital status after filing
- Loss or reduction of child support received
- Loss or reduction of alimony received
Reasons for increases in mandatory or non-discretionary expenses may include:
- Medical/dental/disability expenses
- Nursing home expenses
- Funeral expenses
- Additional required educational expenses
- Additional transportation expenses
- Food and shelter for dependents of students who meet certain income requirements
- Child care expenses (Note: If a student incurs child care expenses, the student should complete the Child Care Budget Adjustment and Grant Application, available in the Financial Aid and Scholarships office in September of each year, instead of a Special Circumstance Re-Evaluation Request).
- Computer budget expenses (Note: If a student incurs computer expenses, the student should complete the Computer Budget Adjustment Request, available at www.affordability.ku.edu/forms, instead of a Special Circumstance Re-Evaluation Request).
Procedures to Request Re-Evaluation
- Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov
- Contact Financial Aid & Scholarships at (785) 864-4700 to schedule an appointment with a Financial Aid Counselor (FAC) to discuss your situation (required for changes to FAFSA information). The FAC will ask you to provide some general information about your circumstances in order to determine if a Special Circumstances Re-Evaluation would benefit you. If the FAC determines that an adjustment could provide some benefit, you will be provided with the Special Circumstances Re-Evaluation Form. Complete and submit the Special Circumstances Re-evaluation Request Form no later than March 1 of the current academic year for changes to the FAFSA or no later than April 1 of the current academic year for expense adjustments. The form provides space for the student to submit a narrative to explain the request. The form also describes the additional information Financial Aid & Scholarships needs from students to complete the process.
- A request for Special Circumstances Re-evaluation cannot be processed until the original application for financial aid (FAFSA) has been completed and verified. Please allow four to six weeks for processing the Special Circumstances Re-evaluation Request after all the required documentation has been received.
- If re-evaluation results in increased eligibility for aid and if funds are available, a student may receive additional assistance. The student may be asked to provide documentation (W-2 forms, 1099s, income tax returns, etc.) at the end of the calendar year to verify the accuracy of income projections or projected expenses. If changes are warranted which result in reduced eligibility, the student may be required to repay aid.
Financial Aid & Scholarships