KU Edwards Staff and Faculty Searches
To describe the KU Edwards Campus policy and process for conducting staff and faculty searches.
All staff and faculty.
- The Edwards Campus Project Manager, the Director of Administrative & Fiscal Services, and the Director of Business Services for Professional & Continuing Education will serve as the official liaison to HR for all staff searches.
- The Edwards Campus Project Manager and the Associate Vice Chancellor will serve as the official liaison to the Provost Office for all faculty searches.
All Edwards Campus staff and faculty who serve on a search committee are required to attend University search training before, or during the search process.
- A search committee will be used for staff hiring.
- A diverse membership will be recommended by the hiring supervisor and approved by the Vice Chancellor.
- A search committee will be formed by the hiring unit/department.
- Representation from the Edwards Campus is required for all positions funded by the campus; the KU Edwards Campus representative will be determined by the Associate Vice Chancellor.
Advertising will be utilized for all searches.
Reaching diverse audiences:
- Marketing will help identify outlets to reach diverse audiences.
- The Edwards Campus Diversity and Inclusion Council will assist to identify groups to notify for each search.
Charge to the Search Committee
- Each staff search committee will be given a specific charge by the hiring supervisor. Typically, the committee will be asked to recommend all acceptable finalists and provide strength and weakness statements for each of them.
- Each faculty search committee will be given a specific charge by the hiring unit/department in consultation with the Associate Vice Chancellor.
Hiring for Excellence
All search committees will use the Hiring for Excellence process:
- The committees will identify key traits for candidates using the survey and analyzing the results.
- The committees will ask questions relating to those traits for phone interviews and for in-person interviews.
Candidate Evaluation Criteria
Criteria will be determined before the evaluation of candidates:
- Evaluation criteria for application materials will be based on the required and preferred qualifications as listed in the position description.
- For staff positions, search committees should consider the relevant University Core Competencies as part of their criteria.
All Edwards Campus interview schedules will be coordinated by the Academic Development Administrative Associate or designee.
Search Committees are responsible for conducting in-person interviews that comply with the following parameters:
Staff Position Interviews:
- All candidates for staff positions will have an interview schedule appropriate to the responsibilities of the position and will include a discussion of the campus mission, vision, and values.
Faculty Position Interviews:
- All faculty candidates will be interviewed by a member of the KU Edwards Campus administration. The interview will include a discussion of the campus mission, vision, and values.
- All faculty interviews should include time with the KU Edwards Campus Academic Support Center and Student Services staff.
- It is highly recommended that all faculty position interviews include time spent at the Edwards Campus.
- It is highly recommended that all faculty position interviews include a presentation or teaching demonstration.
- Travel and associated expenses may be reimbursed for candidates interviewing for positions at the Assistant Director or equivalent level and above, for positions that have rare required skill sets, or for candidates interviewing for a position that has had at least one failed search.
- For regional and national searches, travel and associated expenses may be reimbursed for candidates interviewing for faculty positions.
Edwards Campus Project Manager
Hiring Supervisor: Typically the direct supervisor or manager of the unit/department with the open staff position. The hiring supervisor will be defined at the beginning of each staff search.
2017-05-17: New policy approved by David Cook, Vice Chancellor of the Edwards Campus.