To maintain proper procedure when requesting and/or utilizing the University of Kansas Seal.
The policy applies to students, schools, departments, and administrative offices.
The Office of the Chancellor, the Office of the Executive Vice Chancellor at the Medical Center, the Office of the University Registrar, and the Registrar's Office at the Medical Center shall have ownership and usage rights to devises that can emboss or impress the University Seal on a document. No other office shall own or use such a device. Each office noted above shall bar the cost associated with the purchase and maintenance of such devices. The Office of the University Registrar in conjunction with University Relations shall coordinate procurement of such devices for the Office of the University Registrar and Registrar's Office at the Medial Center.
The University Seal may be placed only on documents that describe a student's academic relationship to the University, on official personnel related documents, and on official research related documents by units officially affiliated with the University.
The following is a list of information that may be sealed by the Office of the University Registrar without the submission of documents from another source:
- Name (as recorded on the database at KU)
- Address (as recorded on the database at KU)
- Date of Birth (as recorded on the database at KU)
- Present academic status (i.e. good standing, probation, etc.)
- Field of Study
- Statement of degree/Statement of graduation
- Estimate of fees-Fee screen
- Estimate of other expenses (may not exceed predetermined amounts)
- Dates of attendance which include start and end dates of semesters, date of withdrawal
- Official transcripts (printed on-line with seal)
- Current schedule of classes
- Current status (degree seeking, full-time, half-time)
- Social Security Number (as recorded on the database at KU)
- Student number
- Grade screens
The following is a list of additional items of information, which may be sealed by the Office of the University Registrar with written verification from the course indicated within parentheses.
- Financial Aid (Office of Student Financial Aid)
- Immigration status (Office of Foreign Student Services)
- Frequency of class attendance (letter from each instructor)
- Place of Birth (passport or birth certificate)
- Estimated date degree will be earned-SOD (Academic Dean)
The following is a list of items of information which may not be sealed.
- Marital status
- Number of children or siblings
- Estimates of expenses for dependents
- Amounts and sources of non-University income
- Where one banks
- Name of Sponsor (if non-University)
- Health insurance coverage
- Grade Cards
- ARTS forms
Documents that certify a staff, faculty or researcher's relationship to the institution may be sealed with appropriate documentation of appointment from Human Resources.
Documents that cite individuals for exemplary service to the institution may be sealed with a request from the appropriate department and approval by the chief staff member in each office sanctioned to possess sealing/embossing devices. Only exemplary service citations are permissible to be sealed. The sealing of documents certifying the completion of training programs or workshops is specifically prohibited.
Research related documents that require the affixing of the University Seal by the receiving agent and that contain information that is not verifiable by sources mentioned in this document may be sealed with the completion of the Use of the University Seal for Research Related Documents form. The seal will only be affixed if the receiving agency mandates the seal. The department requesting the use of the seal must have accessible documentation that substantiates the information being submitted
151 Strong Hall
1450 Jayhawk Blvd.
The University of Kansas
Lawrence, KS 66045
06/17/2015: Policy formatting cleanup (e.g., bolding, spacing).