Children in the Workplace
To provide guidance for creating a supportive working climate for employees to meet family obligations and to outline when children can appropriately be at the workplace.
Lawrence campus & all reporting units.
The University of Kansas values an atmosphere that fosters a healthy balance between workplace obligations and family issues. When possible, departments should honor an employee’s request for flexibility to meet unexpected family needs that may require the employee’s attention during normal working hours. When workloads allow, the University encourages departments to cooperate with employees who wish to meet family responsibilities by using breaks or lunch hours, flexible work schedules, adjusted hours or vacation leave.
The University understands that brief and infrequent visits by children of its employees occur for a variety of reasons. However, the frequent, regular or extended presence of children during work hours is not allowed for the following reasons: the potential for interruption of work, health and safety issues, and liability to the organization. Therefore, University of Kansas employees should follow the principles below regarding the presence of children in the workplace:
- At all times, children remain the sole responsibility of the parent. Parents must accompany their children at all times. The employee must not ask any other employee or student to supervise the child.
- The presence of the child cannot disrupt the work environment or negatively affect the productivity of the employee who brought the child, other employees, or students.
- The employee’s supervisor may ask the employee to take the child from the workplace at any time if the supervisor determines that health or safety risks are too great, or that the child’s presence is disruptive.
- Bringing children to the workplace on a recurrent basis during their school breaks or before/after school is not appropriate.
- A child who has an illness that prevents acceptance by a regular day care provider or from attending school, particularly a child with an infectious disease, should not be brought to the workplace under any circumstances.
Department of Human Resource Management
103 Carruth-O’Leary Hall
1246 W. Campus Road
Lawrence, KS 66045
07/01/2016: Updated to remove gendered pronouns.
04/19/2016: Added before/after school to policy statement, updated contact information, updated purpose statement.
01/23/2015: Policy formatting cleanup (e.g., bolding, spacing).