KU Libraries: Fines, Fees, Lost Item, and Damage Charges for Library Equipment and Accessories (Laptops, Headphones, and More)
When appropriate and in accordance with University of Kansas Libraries policies, library borrowers will be assessed overdue fines for late return of library equipment and accessories, lost item replacement charges for seriously damaged or never returned (lost) items, and associated service processing fees.
Users of the University of Kansas Libraries facilities, services, collections, and/or equipment on the Lawrence Campus including: 1) KU Undergraduate, Graduate, and Law Students currently enrolled through the Lawrence and Edwards Campuses; 2) KU Faculty (including Lecturers), Unclassified Academic Staff, Unclassified Professional Staff, University Support Staff, and Affiliates (including Emeritus and Retirees) currently in active or leave status in Lawrence/Edwards Campus HR records; 3) KU Med Students, Faculty, and Staff; 4) Resident and Reciprocal users; 5) Visiting Scholars; and 6) all other visitors. This policy applies to collections and services in Anschutz Library, Gorton Music & Dance Library, Library Annex, Murphy Art & Architecture Library, Spahr Engineering Library, and Watson Library.
- Charges for Late Return of Library Equipment and Accessories.
- There is no grace period for any equipment items checked out from the KU Libraries. Each item must be returned in good condition by the date and time due.
- Overdue charges are assessed for each physical piece for the hours or minutes the lending library is open beginning with the expiration of the date and time due.
- Overdue Charges for Library Equipment and Accessories.
- Short-term use (4-hour checkout) laptops: overdue fine of 10¢ per minute or partial minute per item accruing to a maximum of $30 per item.
- Computer accessories including headphones and mice, headsets, selected cables, remote controls, and marker packets: $1 per hour or partial hour per item accruing to a maximum of $10 per item.
- Mac accessories and MIDI keyboards: overdue fine of $1 per hour or partial hour per item accruing to a maximum of $25 per item.
- Calculators: overdue fine of $1 per hour or partial hour per item accruing to a maximum of $25 per item.
- One-week checkout laptops: overdue fine of $10 per day or partial day per item accruing to a maximum of $100 per item.
- Digital voice recorders: overdue fine of $2 per day or partial day per item accruing to a maximum of $20 per item.
- Charges for Lost Library Equipment and Accessories.
- When an equipment item becomes 10 days overdue, it will be declared lost, and the borrower will be issued a lost item billing (Notice of Fine or Fee) that includes the replacement cost of the item, a $20 processing fee, and the maximum overdue fine as outlined in Overdue Charges for Library Equipment and Accessories above.
- Replacement charges for library equipment items are determined in consultation with Libraries and procurement specialists responsible for the selection and/or purchase of library equipment.
- Damage Charges for Library Equipment and Accessories.
- Borrowers and other users who damage library equipment are subject to charges that will vary according to the extent of the damage.
- For seriously damaged equipment, the library may assess the borrower replacement charges, service processing fees, and maximum overdue charges.
- Damage charges that do not require full replacement of the item are determined on a case-by-case basis.
- After Lost Equipment and/or Lost Accessory Charges Have Been Incurred.
- From 31-60 days overdue, if the equipment or accessory is returned in good condition, all charges except the overdue fine will be forgiven.
- After 60 days overdue, if the equipment or accessory is returned in good condition, only the lost equipment charge will be forgiven.
This policy does not apply to Kenneth Spencer Research Library and to Wheat Law Library on the Lawrence campus or to the KU Medical Center libraries (Clendening, Dykes, and Farha).
- Borrowing privileges are suspended if the borrower: a) accumulates a total of $80 or more in unpaid charges; b) is no longer enrolled at or employed by the University; c) no longer has a valid KU Library Borrower Card. Individuals who no longer qualify for KU Libraries privileges remain responsible for items checked out and for charges incurred when library privileges were active.
- Library charges must be paid promptly. Unpaid library charges are transferred to Student Account Services for collection approximately 90 days after the charges are first incurred. Failure to pay results in the loss of borrowing privileges, the placement of holds on transcripts and enrollment, referral of unpaid charges to collection agencies, and/or garnishment of paychecks, state income tax refunds, etc.
University of Kansas Libraries
1425 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045
Asking Questions about KU Libraries Policies and Procedures
Previously reported in Comprehensive Fee Schedule, Paragraphs 19.0.00, 19.1.000, 19.1.040, 19.2.00, and in KU Libraries website content.
Overdue charges are incurred when library materials or equipment are returned after the due date assigned at the time of checkout or as modified by the recall process.
Lost item replacement charges are applied to library materials or equipment that have been declared lost, either because a borrower reports item(s) as lost or because the borrower has not returned item(s) within a specified time period. This charge covers the cost to replace the library item(s) for collections and equipment.
Service processing fees are a cost recovery charge for the system, labor, and supply costs incurred by the Libraries to issue the billing, handle user interactions, process cancelations and payments, and to process the item(s) being replaced.
Damage charges are applied in cases where library materials or equipment are not returned in the same condition as they were at the time of checkout (animal damage, fires, floods, damage to software, misuse of equipment that necessitates repairs or replacement, etc.)
10/30/17: Policy and other updates reviewed and approved by Assistant Dean of Libraries for Content and Access Services. Updated equipment list; added and/or updated links to Related Policies and Related Other sections.
03/23/2015: Updated to reflect current nomenclature for Student Account Services.
01/07/2015: Added original policy approval and effective dates to the Contacts and Dates section.
12/01/2014: Added links to Contents for improved page navigation.
11/06/2014: Reviewed and approved for inclusion in the KU Policy Library.
08/01/1999: Policy effective.