Modification of University Property
This policy ensures that projects align with KU’s strategic plans and objectives, and that projects are compliant with University and State of Kansas standards and procedures by defining requirements for all work that modifies University buildings, landscapes, hardscapes, memorials, or property, including renovations, remodeling, construction, maintenance, and any minor modifications.
The University of Kansas and all of its controlled affiliated units.
- Renovations or remodeling;
- New construction;
- Site improvements including signage;
- Land use change;
- Sidewalk, street, or parking improvements;
- Electrical, plumbing, and HVAC modifications or maintenance;
- Flooring and other finishes;
- Interior signage;
- Alterations to fixed furniture and equipment;
- Any moveable equipment requiring connection to existing building utilities or systems, including but not limited to water, electricity, compressed air, and natural gas;
- Equipment electrical connections;
- Equipment exhaust connections;
- Equipment plumbing connections;
- Lock or door hardware modifications;
- Demountable furniture solutions; and
- Security devices and cameras.
Operations (KULC) and Facilities Projects and Planning (KUMC) may grant exceptions to this policy.
Any unit and/or individual that does not comply with this policy may be (1) subject to disciplinary action; (2) responsible for the cost of returning the property to its previous state; and (3) responsible for State of Kansas citations and any associated fines resulting from the modification(s).
KULC Campuses and Reporting Units
Director of Facilities Planning & Development
KUMC Campuses and Reporting Units
Director of Facilities Projects and Planning
08/16/2022: New policy published in the Policy Library.