• Home
  • Clearing Department of Education Matches on the FAFSA

Clearing Department of Education Matches on the FAFSA


When students file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), the Central Processing System (CPS) compares data on the FAFSA with databases from other government agencies (Selective Service, Department of Homeland Security, Social Security Administration, Veterans Administration, and National Student Loan Data System) to confirm that information reported on the FAFSA is correct. When a student’s FAFSA data conflicts with any of these databases, the school is notified that the student has a “C Code” (also called an ED Match) which must be resolved before a student can be awarded.

Applies to: 

KU students who have completed the FAFSA and have conflicting data.

Policy Statement: 

When a student is notified that the student has a Database (ED) Match, the student must provide documents which will clarify the conflicting information. Below is a list of the ED Match categories and the documents that are acceptable for clearing the ED Match.

Selective Service

If a student is male and born before 1960 or not yet 18 years old, or is female: 
  • Copy of driver's license or birth certificate (proof of birth date and gender) 

If student is male, at least 18 years old and born after 1960: 

  • Copy of selective service registration card, online verification of registration (must include Social Security Number [SSN] and student's full name) or copy of registration form from the Post Office (including postal receipt stamp)


  • Letter from the Selective Service confirming student is exempt from registering

If student wants to register and has not yet done so, he should register online and provide documentation that he has registered. 

If student is not a US Citizen, he may still be required to register. He must provide a copy of his passport to show when he entered the US. If he was between the ages of 18 and 25 when he entered the country (unless on a student visa), he would have been required to register.

If student was not exempt from registering but failed to do so, he will have to write a statement to explain why he failed to register. He must be able to show that his failure to register was not "knowing or willful." 

Selective Service Contact Info: Phone: 847-688-6888

Citizenship (Department of Homeland Security [DHS] and Social Security Administration [SSA])

If the student is not a US citizen the student needs to submit to Financial Aid & Scholarships (FAS) a front and back copy of the DHS document which proves eligibility (typically a Permanent Resident Card). FAS must submit a copy of the document to DHS for confirmation.

If the student is a citizen, the student should present an original of one of the following documents to FAS:

  • US Passport
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Certificate of Birth Abroad of U.S. Citizen
  • Birth Certificate showing birth in U.S.

The student may also upload their citizenship documents to the Verification Portal along with a completed Citizenship Affidavit form. This form is available electronically on the Verification Portal.

Note: Although some documents say it is illegal to make copies, we are authorized to copy the documents since we are using them to award federal funds. 

Student SSN

Student should provide FAS with a copy of their social security card. The name on the card must match the name on the FAFSA. If there is a conflict with the date of birth, the student must also provide documentation of DOB (birth certificate, driver’s license). The student should contact SSA to resolve the discrepancy in their records to prevent future mismatches.

If student is submitting a copy of the application for a new SS card, SSA must complete the applicable section to verify that SSA has accepted it. If this is not completed, a receipt from SSA (in addition to the application) is acceptable.

SSA Contact Info:
1440 Wakarusa Dr. #200
Lawrence, KS 66049


If the student has been released from active duty, the student must submit the “Member 4 Copy” of the DD214 (military separation form). If the DD214 indicates that the student is still in the National Guard, Reserves, or ROTC, the student may not qualify as a veteran. The type of discharge must be “other than dishonorable.” If the student is in the National Guard or Reserves, the DD214 must confirm that the student was activated by federal (not state) authority and that the student was activated for other than training purposes.

Note regarding ED matches for veteran status: If the student is otherwise independent, the veteran status is irrelevant and no further documentation is required.

NSLDS Overpayments, Bankruptcy, Loan Defaults, Mismatches and Loan Limits

The student should contact FAS to determine which documents must be submitted.

NSLDS Loan Discharged Due to Disability

The student must submit a “statement of eligibility form” signed by a doctor. FAS will request this form from the student through the verification portal.

Drug Conviction

The student needs to make an appointment with a FAS Counselor to discuss eligibility for non-federal aid and/or to discuss drug rehabilitation program. If student answered #23 on the FAFSA incorrectly, the student should correct the FAFSA. Student should review the Drug Conviction Help Text to determine if #23 was answered correctly.


Bonnie Sandefer
Financial Aid & Scholarships
KU Visitor Center
1502 Iowa Street
Lawrence, KS 66045

Approved by: 
Associate Director of Financial Aid & Scholarships
Approved on: 
Saturday, March 1, 2008
Effective on: 
Saturday, March 1, 2008
Review Cycle: 
Annual (As Needed)
ED Matches, Department of Education match
Change History: 
12/09/2020: Reviewed policy; updates policy statement and contact information; added Edwards Campus.
10/04/2019: Reviewed and updated.
11/16/2017: Updated contact information and updated with new verification information
12/20/2016: Reviewed and updated the contact section and the Citizenship section
07/12/2016: Updated to remove gendered pronouns
09/08/2015: Reviewed and updated 
08/13/2014: Reviewed and updated 
09/09/2013: Reviewed and updated 
08/07/2012: Reviewed and updated 
08/18/2011: Reviewed and updated 
10/2010: Reviewed and updated 
06/2009: Reviewed and updated
Financial Categories: 
Student Financial Aid
Student Life Categories: 
Financial Assistance

Can't Find What You're Looking For?
Policy Library Search
KU Today
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
Nearly $290 million in financial aid annually
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times