International Student Tuition Grant
The KU International Student Tuition Grant is a need-based grant program that helps ensure access and affordability for International students to attend the University of Kansas.
KU International students.
To be eligible for the KUISTG, the student must:
- Be an F-1 or J-1 International student.
- Be admitted to a degree program.
- Submit the Institutional Student Need Analysis Worksheet (ISNAW) by March 1 for priority consideration.
- Have unmet need after other gift aid is awarded.
- Be enrolled in a minimum of 6 hours.
- Undergraduates must have a cumulative KU GPA or 2.0 or better.
- Take classes on the Lawrence or Edwards campuses.
- Have an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) of 13,000 or less (UG) or 5,000 or less (GR)
- Have completed their first full academic year at KU. Federal regulations require that International students document that they can fully fund at least their first year at KU.
Students who are studying abroad are only eligible for KUISTG if they are enrolled in a qualified study abroad exchange program or a program that assesses KU tuition. Contact the KU Study Abroad Office for details.
The KUISTG Coordinator will maintain a database of all eligible students who submitted an ISNAW by March 1. Students are prioritized according to remaining need. If funds are available, students who submitted an ISNAW after March 1 will be considered (prioritized by ISNAW date received and remaining need).
If KUISTG is cancelled FAS will reinstate if the following criteria are met:
- The student is enrolled.
- Funds are available.
If a student receives additional gift aid that makes the student less eligible (or not eligible at all) for KUISTG, awards will be adjusted. The award may be cancelled or the student may have to repay funds that have already been disbursed.
If a student withdraws completely, withdrawal procedures for capturing non-Title IV funds will be followed. The spring disbursement of KUISTG will be canceled and will not be reinstated, even if the student re-enrolls for the spring semester. Note: if a student withdraws before the first day of classes, all aid will be canceled and the student must repay all aid, including KUISTG.
If a student receives all F’s and cannot document attendance, they will be required to repay KUISTG. Charges will be placed on the student’s account and an academic hold will be placed on the student’s record until KUISTG is repaid in full.
KU Visitor Center
1502 Iowa Street
12/09/2020: Reviewed policy; no update.
10/15/2019: Reviewed and updated.