Faculty Travel Funding in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
To articulate the process to be followed for allocating funds to support travel by faculty members in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences.
Faculty members in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences.
- The primary purpose of providing travel funds for faculty members in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences is the production and dissemination of research.
- A secondary purpose is raising the scholarly visibility and profile of the College.
- The application process shall be structured in a way that allows for timely and predictable responses to requests, to facilitate planning by faculty members.
The applicant must currently hold a tenure-track or tenured position, or be a teaching professor (of any rank), or be a clinical professor (of any rank), in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences. In addition, the applicant must not have already been allocated funds through this process in the same fiscal year.
2. Submission of application
Applications can be submitted via the web at collegetravel.ku.edu. Since this URL does not begin with “www,” you may need to type “https://” before it, in your browser. Below, this system is referred to as the online application system.
Applicants must submit a c.v. as part of the application process, or have a previously submitted c.v. already on file in the online application system.
Applicants must describe the purpose of their trip and categorize the purpose as one of the following:
- conduct research
- present a paper or poster at a professional conference
- fulfill duties or responsibilities pertaining to national or international leadership
Applicants must provide an estimate of their expenses.
When an application is submitted, a confirmation email will be sent to the applicant. The applicant can also monitor the status of the application in the online application system.
4. Supervisor endorsement
The applicant’s supervisor will be asked to endorse the application.
5. Decision process
Each completed application will be reviewed by the associate dean assigned to the applicant’s unit, according to the following criteria:
- If there seems to be little risk that the travel funds will run out before the end of the fiscal year, any application from an eligible faculty member for travel for one of the three purposes listed above will be approved (absent special reasons to the contrary).
- If there is a substantial risk that the travel funds will run out before the end of the fiscal year, the following applications may be declined to conserve funds for other applications:
- applications from tenured faculty members
- applications for travel to fulfill duties or responsibilities pertaining to national or international leadership
Each associate dean will normally review applications on the second and fourth Tuesday of every month. The College budget office will then send notifications of those decisions.
6. Funding levels
For travel to destinations within the United States (including Alaska and Hawaii), Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean, funds of up to $700 may be provided.
For travel to other destinations, funds of up to $1,200 may be provided.
College of Liberal Arts & Sciences Budget Office
224 Strong Hall
1450 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045
06/02/2021: Minor revision to remove references to associate dean for administrative affairs.
04/26/2021: Minor revision to expand eligibility to include clinical professors.
12/09/2019: Major revison to clarify process, expand eligibility to include teaching professors, and permit funding for leadership duties.
11/01/2019: Updated URL for website for submitting applications.
06/15/2017: Updated contact information.
10/14/2015: Uploaded to the Policy Library website to replace the version that was formerly published in pdf format.
11/01/2012: Approved by the Dean of the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences.