Progress Toward Tenure Review Procedures, Department of History
To establish and articulate the procedures followed in the Department of History for the Progress Toward Tenure Review process.
Tenure-track faculty members in the Department of History.
I. Purpose and Principles
The purpose of the Progress Toward Tenure Review (PTTR) is to provide faculty members with a meaningful appraisal of their cumulative progress to date toward earning tenure. A secondary purpose is to orient the tenure-track faculty member toward basic aspects of the tenure process. The review is conducted at the department and College levels.
The review assesses the faculty member’s cumulative accomplishments and pattern of progress in research, teaching, and service at the University of Kansas. The reference point for this assessment is the History Department’s and University’s criteria for promotion and tenure and departmental and University goals for pre-tenure faculty. Neither the record of the review nor its results shall be included in a faculty member’s promotion and tenure record and recommendations for or against promotion and tenure should not be influenced by favorable or unfavorable results of the Progress Toward Tenure Review. This limitation does not prevent consideration during the promotion and tenure review of the same documents and information considered by the Progress Toward Tenure Review.
Guidelines for “Pre-Tenure Matters” are covered by Article VI, Section 4 of Faculty Senate Rules and Regulations (FSSR), available at https://policy.ku.edu/governance/FSRR#art6sect4.
II. Period for Review
The Progress Toward Tenure Review is a formal review conducted approximately midway through the probationary period for tenure-track faculty. The review normally occurs during the third year of the tenure-track appointment. The start date of the tenure-track appointment is the base for calculating the timing of the progress toward tenure review. A faculty member’s credited years of prior university service (as determined by the Provost Office at the time of initial appointment) are also counted when determining the Progress Toward Tenure Review date. For example, a faculty member with one year of credited prior service will be reviewed during the second year of their KU appointment. A faculty member will be exempt from the Progress Toward Tenure Review if they have received three or more years of prior service credit. Changes in the mandatory tenure review date under the policy for interruption of the tenure clock do not automatically affect the timing of the progress toward tenure review.
III. The PTTR Process
The major steps in the Progress Toward Tenure Review process within the department are as follows:
- After receiving appropriate notification from the Dean and University administration, on a date decided by the Department Chair, each faculty member under review will submit to the Personnel Committee a dossier on research, teaching, and service prepared according to current Progress Toward Tenure Review guidelines of the University. If the Personnel Committee does not include a faculty member with relevant field expertise for a Progress Toward Tenure Review, the Department Chair may appoint a faculty member outside of the Personnel Committee to assist.
- The Personnel Committee will prepare a review on each dimension of this dossier and select one of the following overall outcomes:
- Evidence supports continuing appointment at this time.
- Evidence requires subsequent formal review during the next academic year.
- Evidence supports a recommendation for notice of non-reappointment. (Procedures for notice of non-reappointment are governed by FSSR 6.4.3.)
- The Department Chair will provide their own assessment of this dossier and the Personnel Committee’s review, and then forward the dossier, Personnel Committee’s review, and their own review to the College for assessment at that level.
- After receiving feedback from the College, the Department Chair will schedule a conference with the faculty member to discuss the completed Progress Toward Tenure Review.
Department of History
1445 Jayhawk Blvd.
3650 Wescoe Hall
University of Kansas
Lawrence, KS 66045
08/03/2023: Updated name change from Governance Committee to Personnel Committee.
10/21/2021: Converted from PDF to live text page.
09/06/2019: Procedure uploaded to Policy Library.