All F's/Any F's Policy
Students earn their Title IV aid by attending school. If a student withdraws from school, the student and KU may be required to repay some or all of the Title IV aid received for the term. If a Title IV aid recipient receives F’s in all of their courses, KU must determine whether or not the student “earned” those F’s or simply ceased attendance, and thereby unofficially withdrew.
FAS works with IT EdTech and instructors to determine students’ Last Date of Attendance used in the return of Title IV funds calculations.
All students who are receiving federal financial aid and who receive All F’s during a semester. The instructors of classes in which these students enrolled.
- When assigning a student a failing grade in a course (F, U, W, or NC), instructors are asked to report attendance information. “C” indicates complete attendance for a course. “N” indicates that the student never attended the course, and “P”, indicates partial attendance. For students assigned a “P,” professors and instructors are required to include a last date of attendance.
- A disbursement hold is placed on the student’s account which prevents the student’s semester financial aid from being disbursed until the matter has been resolved.
- Once the last date of attendance has been determined, the student will be notified as to whether or not repayment of federal financial aid is required and the process for repayment.
For students who (1) received a Pell Grant award, (2) pass at least one course, but (3) receive failing grades in one or more courses, FAS must determine if the student attended those failed courses and what portion, if any, of their Pell Grant they must repay.
- When assigning a student a failing grade in a course (F, U, W, or NC), instructors are asked to report attendance information. “C” indicates complete attendance for a course. “N” indicates that the student never attended the course, and “P” indicates partial attendance.
- Once attendance has been determined, the student will receive an email notification if Pell repayment is required and the process for repayment.
Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships
1502 Iowa Street
Lawrence, KS 66045
12/12/2022: Policy was reviewed and no updates were made.
11/11/2021: Reviewed and updated.
12/09/2020: Reviewed and updated.
09/30/2019: Reviewed and updated.
11/09/2017: Updated acceptable documentation