Virtual Private Network (VPN) Remote Access Procedure
To define administrative and operational procedures associated with VPN Remote Access Service.
These procedures are to be used by all personnel implementing Virtual Private Network (VPN) Remote Access Services.
- User requests for VPN Remote Access Service are initiated through the departmental IT Technical Liaison or designated system administrator and VPN is available only to faculty and staff.
- Departments determine who will be authorized for VPN Remote Access Service within their department.
- VPN Remote Access Service is authorized only after the IT Liaison or designated system administrator has confirmed that the user has reviewed the University’s VPN Service Policy, especially the requirements outlined in the Responsibility of Users section of the policy.
- Information Technology supports the VPN network device, the VPN client, a method for Systems Administrators to grant their users access to the VPN service through the ANSR registration process, documentation for installing the VPN client, and 24x7 system support.
- The departmental IT Technical Liaisons or designated system administrators are the user’s primary point of contact for assistance with installation of the VPN client and resolution of problems with individual user client set-up and operation. Client installation procedures are located at KU Information Technology - VPN Access.
- In the event of an unexpected VPN service outage, information is reported at www.ku.edu/computing.
Although the first level of problem resolution for faculty and staff VPN issues is the department IT Technical Liaison or designated system administrator, the IT Customer Service Center (785-864-8080;email@example.com) offers faculty and staff 24x7 support for VPN Remote Access Service
01/26/2022: Updated contact section.
09/11/2007: Updated to reflect NTS/IT reorganization of responsibilities.