KU Card Terms and Conditions
To enumerate terms and conditions for receiving and using the KU Card issued by the University of Kansas.
Students, Faculty, Staff, and other members of the KU community on the Lawrence campus and its reporting units
- The KU Card is your official identification card and is valid as long as you are an enrolled student or employed at the University.
- Students must be enrolled and active in the Campus Solutions System in order to be issued a KU Card.
- Employee data must be entered into the University HR/Pay system to be issued a KU Card.
- The KU Card will not be issued to employees prior to their actual payroll appointment date. Exceptions to this policy may be made for faculty and affiliates.
- A valid, government-issued photo ID must be shown before a KU Card will be issued. One of the following will be accepted (no exceptions): driver's license, passport, military ID, State ID, or green card.
- Your official name, as it appears in the University database, will print on your card. A card holder may request a preferred name be printed on their card. The name on the photo ID you present to the Card Center staff for verification should match unless a preferred name was requested in which case photo identification will suffice.
- Each student, employee, and affiliate is eligible to carry only one active card.
- Employees who are taking classes do not receive a student KU Card.
- Individuals appointed as graduate research assistants (GRA) and graduate teaching assistants (GTA) are eligible for student KU Card.
- Emeritus and retirees of The University of Kansas are issued a KU Card.
- Individuals who serve the University by providing specialized professional services to schools or units without compensation from the University do not receive a KU Card. Examples of these individuals are: School of Education Cadres and School of Pharmacy Clinicians.
- Your social security number (SSN) is not entered into the card production system. It is not printed on the card nor is it encoded within the card.
- No profiles, hats, headbands, sunglasses, or other facial obstructions will be allowed in your card photograph.
- Your KU Card does not expire unless you receive a card with an expiration date printed on it.
- If your KU Card is replaced due to loss or theft, it is deactivated and cannot be reactivated, if found. Only the latest card printed is valid.
- The KU Card is the property of The University of Kansas and is nontransferable. Unauthorized use warrants confiscation and/or disciplinary action.
- Unauthorized use of a KU Card other than one’s own constitutes fraudulent activity. Knowing misuse of any card also constitutes fraudulent activity. Such activity will be investigated and is punishable by law, is subject to KU conduct sanctions, and may result in loss of card privileges, including non-issuance of a new or replacement card.
- New employees, as a condition of their employment, are issued their first KU Card free of charge.
- New students pay the current new card rate for their first KU Card.
- All cardholders pay the current replacement rate of damaged, lost, or stolen cards.
- The filing of a policy report does not waive the replacement fee for a stolen card.
- Requests for a name change, resulting in the issuance of a replacement card will be billed at the current replacement rate.
- If it is determined that a name is incorrect in the database due to the University's error, no charge will be assessed to the cardholder for a replacement card.
- Religious advisors are issued their first KU Card free of charge. It carries an expiration date. If re-appointed, the KU Card is still valid for use on campus. If the cardholder wishes to receive a replacement card with a new expiration date they will be charged at the current replacement rate.
- Protect your KU Card from damage by keeping it in the protective sleeve provided to you when the card is issued.
- Do not lend your KU Card to others.
- Do not punch holes, affix stickers, or in any other way, make modifications to your KU Card. Such practices may create problems when trying to use your card for official University business and/or ATM, vending, or card swipe functions.
- University departments are encouraged not to retain a KU Card in exchange for reference material and/or product checked out to an individual. If they do retain a KU Card and would happen to lose it, they will be responsible for covering the replacement fee.
- If a KU Card is found, it can be returned to Student Accounts and Receivables, 1246 West Campus Road, Room 1, Lawrence, KS 66045.
- For campus security purposes, every student and employee at the University of Kansas, Lawrence campus and its reporting units must provide a photo to be used on their KU Card and uploaded into the current card software following directiions on the card center website.
- Your digital photograph will be printed on the front of your KU Card and will be stored in the KU Card database.
- Faculty and staff will be provided a mechanism to upload an alternative image, or select a generic alternative image if they wish to not have their image displayed.
- Student, including student employee, photos when used for the conduct of University business, as in University systems and campus email, are designated as directory information, as outlined in the Student Records policy. Photos can only be made available to the student, those persons who have an educational need to know, and those who have permission from the student.
- The University of Kansas is not liable for criminal repercussions associated with lost, stolen, damaged, or fraudulently used KU Cards, and employee badges.
- Personal information is kept secure and confidential at the KU Card Center. Outside parties are not privileged to personal or account information unless express consent is granted or the University is required to comply with legal or government agencies.
Violating some terms and conditions policies, as described in the Policy Statement, may result in various administrative fees assessed to your account.
Student Accounts and Receivables
1246 West Campus Road, Room 1
Lawrence, KS 66045
01/04/2021: Removed reference to Beak 'Em Bucks and indicated reorganization of card center within Student Accounts and Receivables.
10/02/2015: Changed name of hyperlink in related policy links from Replacement Card to Instructions for a lost, stolen, or damaged KU Card
09/30/2015: fixed spelling error and removed departmental copy card from disclaimers, added anchor links and fixed related policy links to open in a new window.
09/24/2015: Revised pricing to update changes that went into effect on 09/01/2015 for new and replacement cards.
November 2014 and January 2015: Revised to permit the use of faculty, staff, and student photographs in university communication systems and campus email.
July 2014: Revisions recommended by Card Center, endorsed by General Counsel, and approved by Vice Provost for Administration & Finance to define fraudulent activity and its consequences.
March 1998: Policies for KU Card Center were created.